Thursday, November 5, 2009

Plantain Palya (Plantain curry)

Raw Plantain is famous in South India. It is used for curries and famous banana chips. I never tried this plantain for making curries or palya. Again this is given by my Amma(mom). Tastes excellent with rotis and rice.




Ingredients

1 Raw plantain
1/2 cup grated or frozen shredded coconut
1 green chilli(Cut into pieces)
1tbsp oil
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp mustard seed
1tbsp lemon juice
1tsp sugar
curry leaves
Pinch of  Hing
Coriander for garnishing
Salt to taste

Method

Scrape the banana and dice into cubes. Put oil in pan and add cumin seeds,mustard, turmeric,hing,curry leaves and green chillies. when mustard splutters and diced plantain cubes. Add 2-4 tbsp water and salt Stir all together  and cover the lid for 5-6 mins on medium flame. Check in between and stir again. Try cutting plantain with knife or spoon to check the plantain is cooked or not. Don't overcook. Add grated coconut, sugar and squeez lemon juice on top. Mix well. Garnish with chopped coriander. Oh my gosh it tasted so excellent. Again credit goes to my mom.

Tip - I was not having grated coconut or frozen small. So I took the pieces of fresh coconut and I grinded in Indian grinder.

No comments: